Thursday, April 19, 2007

Let there be light!



Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and a bit of a power pig, but I really hate fluorescent lamps for indoor use. I especially hate so called compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) designed to fit into incandescent sockets. Give me warm light from a "natural daylight" spectrum bulb to work and read by at night. Don't get me wrong, compact fluorescents have their place - outside my home on the lawn post, or in the garage. There are even some that come very close to producing pleasing light - but I remain a skeptic for now.

Recent moves by Wal-Mart to discontinue selling ALL incandescent bulbs, and rumors that a new bill will soon come before congress to outlaw them, concern me.

Seems that I am not the only one.

First and foremost, compact fluorescents contain mercury. People that toss CFLs into the garbage when they burn out are contributing to mercury contamination in our ground water. Everyone should recycle these types of lamps - even though it's hard to get rid of them in areas with poor recycling programs.

Secondly, it appears that the move to compact fluorescents will also impact the US job market - again.